Daryl’s FIT TIP of The Day:
Many people fall victim to the dreaded afternoon lull. It seems to hit around 2:00 p.m. Fatigue, sugar cravings, and mental acuity wanes. There are many reasons for these symptoms to occur, but the most common are:
1. Not eating the right nutrient combinations for breakfast. Eating too much sugar.
2. Not eating breakfast.
3. Drinking coffee, especially with a carb meal or nothing at all.
4. Not eating enough protein and fat for lunch.
5. Eating carbohydrates for lunch, i.e., a sandwich, pasta.
6. Not eating enough food in general to keep up with your resting metabolic rate.
7. Too much mental stress at the work place, reduces brain glucose resulting in fatigue.
8. Exerting too much. Physical fatigue.
9. Skipping meals.
10. Low iron in blood.
To ward off the dreaded afternoon lull follow a well balanced energy producing diet and try to reduce as much mental stress as possible. If you have to take a 15 minute break to recharge the “batteries” then do so. If you can take a power nap during the 15 minute break that would be great, or put on some headphones and listen to music that makes you feel good. Diverting your mental energy from negative to positive will boost your immunity and help release positive energy throughout the body.
The worst thing to do is to cave in and chow down on carbs, or drink coffee once you get home from work to try and wake up the body. This will only result in fat gain and increase fatigue.
Spread the education. Please like and share this post with friends and family. Thanks! 🙂